Friday, February 10, 2012

When I put 5 days of food, a full water bladder, cameras and all the other incidentals, the weight of my pack jumped to 39 pounds.  Tomorrow's trip to the NOC for some expert advice will help, but I can also make some changes now.

Currently, my sleeping bag is a Mountain Hardware Switch 35 (rated down to 35 degrees).  It weighs 3 pounds, 8 ounces.  I bought it when I was still using my tent and sleeping pad.
Mountain Hardware Switch 35

In an effort to drop a few pounds, I just ordered a new bag, made for use in a hammock.  It's a Hudson River 3-Season Quilt from a company called Jacks-R-Better.  It's lighter - 1 pound, 5 ounces, but it's rated for 25 to 30 degrees.

Jacks-R-Better Hudson River 3 Season Quilt

So, not only did I lower my pack weight by more than 2 pounds, but I got a sleeping system designed for hammock use and I will stay warmer in colder temperatures.

Grandson Robert wants to go camping and hiking before I leave on my adventure.  It will be a good way to get some trail exercise and practice setup and tear-down of all the gear.  Dates are being worked out but pictures are sure to follow.

My friends at the Rush24 gym are getting into this too.  Each day someone will ask about the trip.  They will get an AT Strip Map to mark my progress so everyone can follow along.

Today it's 51 days and a wake-up left to go.

No comments: