Thursday, March 1, 2012

And now it's March. I am within a month of leaving for what I hope is the adventure of a lifetime - hiking the Appalachian Trail.  I am excited for sure, but of course I'm also a little apprehensive.  I know I've done all the advance work - I think I have the gear that's right for me, I've done the physical work to get myself ready, I've planned and thought and contemplated - and through it all I am optimistic and convinced that I can be among the 25% of those who start and actually finish the entire trail.

I want to remember to take it slow in the beginning to avoid overdoing it until I am in 'trail shape.'  And then, when things become routine, to remember to look around and enjoy every moment - the good ones and the soggy ones.  Oh this is going to be so much fun!!!!  I hope to waste a lot of your time with tons of pictures from the trail. 

During the past week, Susan and I have put together the mail drop boxes filled with food and supplies that will be sent to post offices along the trail.  After a couple of adjustments and re-labeling, I think it's set.  I found out that one post office in Bear Mountain, NY, was only open two hours a day.  So, I've changed to another post office in the next town that's open all day.  Glad I caught that one - found it reading through the AT Guide late at night. 

I spoke with Mike at Great Outdoor Provisions yesterday.  He said they are going to put a link to my blog on their website.  Welcome to anyone that wants to follow along.

So, today it's 30 days and a 'wake-up' on my ATC Calendar on the wall.  But according to the new countdown timer app on my phone..... (it's just a little more specific)

I want to do another shakedown trip with my grandson before I leave.  And, I want to put together another video to show you my hammock and my kitchen setups.  And I have to put all my household goods into storage.  There's time, but the clock is ticking relentlessly.

Don't forget to visit on March 19th at the Adkins High Point Barber Shop.  I'm getting shorn and shaved one last time before I let it go for 6 months.  It should be quite a sight.  I will bring my pack, loaded with everything, so you can check it out. (5p-6p)

I just realized that by leaving April 1st, I am going to miss the end of March Madness and the Final Four!  I expect UNC and Duke to both play well into the tournament, if not win it all.  I'd prefer the Tar Heels, but I just love good college basketball and living in North Carolina is just basketball heaven for a fan like me.

More later - thanks for following along.

No comments: