Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Shave and a Haircut, 2-bits!

It seems that most of the male thru hikers grow a beard during their 5 to 6 months on the trail. What if you're like me and already have a beard? Well, in my case I decided to shave it off and start fresh. Having a full thick head of hair on the hot trail is also a source of a little too much insulation, so I decided to go short there too. As they say, if there are no pictures, it didn't happen.  I have lots of pictures. Here are the best ones. Thanks to Brian Adkins of the High Point Barber Shop for the light touch with the straight razor. My first barber shop shave was relatively bloodless. It wasn't until I watched the video that I saw where he did nick me once... but I will survive.

 Get a good look now. I can handle the crew-cut, but after looking at these pictures myself, I remember why I grew a beard in the first place. This clean-shaven look will not last! But, it's all in fun and it won't last long. Next haircut will wait until I return from the trail. Assuming I make it to Katahdin, Brian will really have a mess to clean up. So here's the face that launched a hike in the woods:







Today is Tuesday, March 20th - the first day of spring. There are now 12 days until I step off Springer! I am really getting excited now. the house is starting to echo as more boxes get sent to storage. Two of the three cats have made the move with the third one to follow soon. The clock ticks on and I am still going.

Term check: "NOBO" is North Bound. "GAME" or "GA-ME" means Georgia to Maine.









2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Max won't recognize you!

Lee said...

Good luck Bob!!! Kinda looks like you are a new recruit getting buzzed at Parris Island!