Monday, February 6, 2012

Planning and training continues for an April 1st start of my AT adventure.  This Saturday, February 11th, I will attend a clinic held at the Nantahala Outdoor Center (they call it the NOC).  It is located on the Nantahala River outside of Bryson City, NC and it sits right on the Appalachian Trail.  They have been serving AT hikers for years.  Their clinic should help me make some last minute decisions on gear and logistics.  As a matter of fact, I have scheduled a one-on-one session with their staff to do a gear/pack 'shakedown' to help me get rid of anything I don't really need - or choose other options that would accomplish the same task with less weight.  I put a 5-day supply of food in my pack, added snacks, the camera, phone, batteries, charging cables, maps and the guide book.  All of a sudden my pack weight jumps to 32 pounds.  And I still have to add water to that.  I don't know what I can eliminate at this point.  That's why the 'shakedown' with the experts.  I know they will find things I can do without.  I hope it's nothing I am too attached to - like my camera(s).  We will see.  55 days and a wake-up to go!

No comments: