Thursday, March 15, 2012

17 Days To Go - My Hammock and 'The ONES.'

The countdown continues - now there's just 17 days to go.  The mail drops are prepped, but I am still adding a few little things here and there.  The house is getting emptier as I move stuff to storage.  And the clock continues to tick.

Monday I get a good razor shave and a close haircut (not bald, but close enough).  Trouble is, it will take 3 weeks for the beard to stop itching as it grows back in.  It's really tough to deal with until it gets long enough and soft enough.  But, it will be worth it to see how much it grows in the 5-6 months on the trail.  Will it be so long that you won't recognize me when I return?  (at least until I stand up....)   Thanks in advance to Brian and Matt Adkins at the High Point Barber Shop for the support and encouragement along the way.  I know you're going to enjoy the section hike you will do tagging along with me.  It will be a good way to start the trip.

Today I did the video of my hammock system that I have been teasing you all about.  I hope it explains all about my hammock and why I turned away from sleeping on the ground in a tent.  Check it out.





Finally, some thoughts about keeping a positive attitude and the ability to keep going.  I have no doubt that there will be many times on this 2,000+ mile journey when it's cold and wet, and I am sore and tired, and I will feel like I just can't go on any further.  This hike is so big that just the thought of it scares people away.  I am preparing myself for the inevitable moment(s) when the doubts overwhelm my optimism and the excitement of this big adventure.  When the moment does come, I want to remember the ones.  It's the ONE more step, the ONE more mile, the ONE more peak, the ONE more day.  If I can just keep my goals short and remember the ONEs, I can ONE my way all the way to Mt. Katahdin in Maine.  Sounds good to me.  So that's going to be my own little personal motivational mantra during the tough days along the trail.  And, it will be good to know you all are behind me sending encouraging words my way.  That works too.  Thanks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great video! I always wanted to see the set up. Thanks for sharing. Christy D.